Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shine a little light.

Today I had the opportunity to talk with a homeless man. I came up to this man on this blustery evening standing on the corner near a supermarket asking for money. I gave him a bag that our college group is using as an outreach. The bag has toiletries and snack food and other stuff that might be useful. Well I gave it to him and said God bless, and as I started to turn he started to talk about God. He said that he needs God. He told me that he had a relationship with God before but had gotten addicted to drugs and alchohol and just turned away. He even told me that he had tried to OD on heroin and it had failed. But he fully believed that God has a plan for him.
He then asked me what church I went to, and I shared with him. And he told me that he had several times been by the corner where our church is on a Sunday sitting and reading his Bible and no one had ever talked to him or invited him in. So he felt like our church was not a good one. And that he thought we needed to focus on the homeless more because that is where the problems are.
When he shared and told me what he felt about my church, I felt ashamed. Because it's not everyone in our church that shies away from the homeless, but there are plenty. And that isn't just my church body that does that, it is the whole church body. It's not that we don't see them, we pretend that they aren't there. That the person on the corner is less than us. Less human. We are blinded by out self righteousness that we don't take the chance to just have a conversation with them. These people are in need of love, understanding, and most of all a chance. Someone to look at them, to actually see them. Not just give them something and walk away. But to actually care about them. We as the church should be the first ones to go and show these people love, and kindness. Sure they might have burnt all the bridges of help in this town. But if we judge them by that, then we should be cast out. We burn the bridges between us and God all the time, but he helps us rebuild time and time again.
I am guilty of doing this, ignoring the beggar on the corner. But even if you don't have money to give, give them a little of your time and say prayer for them.

Shine a little light.

No comments:

Post a Comment